Friday, September 14, 2012

back in the swing...whee!

Here it is, September..my fave month.  We have celebrated (kind of) our September 8th wedding anniversary...and have the 9/15 and 9/22 weddings to celebrate yet this month - and THEN there's my birthday on the 28th!  One more time, for fun...WHEEEE!
I had an interesting afternoon, after a day resting my back and finishing another book on my kindle and a late, easy workout on the elliptical.  While sipping some vinho verde in the back yard I saw this very large grasshopper sitting on a leaf that was floating in the pool.  I rescued it and it didn't move for the longest time.  After moving the pool net, it finally started to dry out and move a little.  Poor guy!





So, camera in hand I continued to find some interesting flora and fauna...get ready for some pics, people!



While walking around the pool, I ran into this little cutie.  He (I'm assuming from the very bright yellow color) let me get awfully close...Goldfinches are usually pretty skittish so I had a great time taking photos of this guy.

I cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeders after getting buzzed by a couple of them, but after that initial fly-by, I only heard them chasing each other around the yard.  They most definitely know when I have my camera out!  I resumed sipping on my wine and caught Kona trying to get Keith to let her at the tuna that he was cooking on the grill...


"Please, Daddy?"  I can't blame her, really.  The tuna smelled terrific, looked amazing and tasted even better!  But before you call me a cruel doggy mommy, you must know that I did save a substantial bite for our little Kona Bean.


Once inside and dinner all ready, I loved the way the wine bottle glistened in the late afternoon sun coming in the kitchen window and the shadows created by the wine glasses and bottle on the wall opposite.





After nursing my bad back, taking it easy for a couple of days and actually enjoying the early evening and a yummy dinner, I believe I will be ready to take on a four mile run tomorrow morning.  Here's to the remainder of a sweet September.


1 comment:

Susan Jessen said...

Hey-- a goldfinch! You poacher! You send that cutie patootie back to Iowa this instant, Liz! That's our state bird-- and I'm certain that particular bird is the one that flits around my back yard...