
I had fun last week trying to decide what to do with a section of the garden that was being populated by two very sick-looking oleanders. After hacking all the dead wood away, and still not being happy with how sad the oleander looked, I visited a local garden ceter twice before finally deciding on replacing the poor abused-by-a-tough-winter oleanders with a good-sized Pindo Palm....beautiful!
That accomplished, I could turn to another section that has been needing attention for a while - an overgrown climbing white jasmine that has taken over a wooden swing and an evergreen that needs some serious pruning currently house the far left corner of the yard. I found the perfect iron arbor to host the white jasmine at a sweet little shop in downtown Norfolk. While roaming the store I came upon a most unusual garden sculpture - a three-foot Easter Island head made of solid concrete! Of course I brought it home, placed it in it's perfect spot (right next to the newest palm tree!) and named it Matilda the Menhir...
Once again, I find myself having so much fun designing in my garden, finding parallels in what is going on in my garden with what is going on with my own life, getting in touch with my inner landscape while I become reacquainted with the denizens (flora and fauna) of my outer garden.
Today I came across this quote from Lorraine Anderson in the 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women - "Nature has been for me, for as long as I can remember, a source of solace, inspiration, adventure, and delight; a home, a teacher, a companion."
When I spend morning time in the garden - my little section of nature -I too feel a sense of completeness and it seems to filter through whatever I do in my day.
That accomplished, I could turn to another section that has been needing attention for a while - an overgrown climbing white jasmine that has taken over a wooden swing and an evergreen that needs some serious pruning currently house the far left corner of the yard. I found the perfect iron arbor to host the white jasmine at a sweet little shop in downtown Norfolk. While roaming the store I came upon a most unusual garden sculpture - a three-foot Easter Island head made of solid concrete! Of course I brought it home, placed it in it's perfect spot (right next to the newest palm tree!) and named it Matilda the Menhir...
Once again, I find myself having so much fun designing in my garden, finding parallels in what is going on in my garden with what is going on with my own life, getting in touch with my inner landscape while I become reacquainted with the denizens (flora and fauna) of my outer garden.
Today I came across this quote from Lorraine Anderson in the 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women - "Nature has been for me, for as long as I can remember, a source of solace, inspiration, adventure, and delight; a home, a teacher, a companion."
When I spend morning time in the garden - my little section of nature -I too feel a sense of completeness and it seems to filter through whatever I do in my day.
photo credit: Matilda Under the Pindo Palm Umbrella, Liz Romero, 2009
No comments:
Post a Comment