I always count Friday as part of my weekend. I think it has something to do with Keith having started making Fridays a half day for himself at work years ago. All the real fun seems to begin on Friday just after lunch time!
Friday meant a cross-training day as prep for my planned long run on Saturday. I made sure to get that all done + Kona's daily trail walk + shower before Keith got home. We spent the afternoon checking off the list of To-Bring items to daughter #2's new apartment as we toted them to the car. We fought traffic on the way to downtown Norfolk (who knew that traffic traveling from VaBeach to Norfolk was so heavy at 5:00 pm? I sure didn't.) and arrived to deliver the goods. Then, just because, we took ourselves and the sweet girl to Luna Maya for dinner. Holy Cocktails, Batman!... they make a great caipirinha!
Saturday started with a hearty breakfast a la Keith, meaning turkey bacon and eggs and I knew I would need the protein. I had an 8 mile run scheduled for the morning. It was SO darn cold! But, thankfully, the wind that had been plaguing all my runs the previous week was absent. Whew! 24 degrees was enough for me to endure. My run turned into a 9.2 mile one as I was kicking it! I averaged a 10:30 pace which is HUGE for me and though my arthritic feet were throbbing at the end, I was PUMPED!
Another trail walk for Kona on my painful tootsies and some putzing around the house was all I had energy for the rest of the day.
On to SuperBowl Sunday...The only excitement surrounding this year's game had to do with the awesome snacks we had planned and (fingers crossed!) the usually entertaining commercials. After choir Mass and coming home to a Bloody Mary waiting, freshly made, on the counter - not to mention lunch prepared by my sweetheart - I received a frantic call. A neighbor and close friend's house was on fire and after a quick, "I'll be right there" Keith and I were in the car and at her home for the next 3 hours just to lend whatever help and support we could. While her home was left structurally sound after this accidental electrical fire, it will probably be 6 weeks before her family can live in the home because of smoke and water damage.
There is nothing like a sudden traumatic event (even when it doesn't happen directly to you) to put things in perspective. I returned to a home that was intact and safe, as well as a tail-wagging happy Kona and felt SO lucky.
The SuperBowl was crazy. It was a great game, interrupted by a bizarre power outage at the SuperDome, which seemed to upset the momentum quite a bit. The commercials, except for this one and two of the Doritos ads, were disappointing. Keith's Jamaican Jerk seasoned chicken wings were exceptional, my home made guacamole was it's usual Fabulous. But we stopped there. The nachos were not meant to be. We were just full. I'll make them later in the week for a fun dinner instead.
I spent the time off my feet knitting a lap robe for my prayer shawl ministry at church. I got quite a few rows completed. And I'm feeling my knitting mojo raising it's groggy head. Perhaps some fun knitting projects are in my future?
The 365 project is going great. Well, I had a bump in the road this weekend with the business getting in the way of playing with my camera, but I back in the swing now. My favorite post to the project is a shot I did of orangey red tulips against the background of my favorite Jaline Pol painting (one of red poppies - a very RED painting). I took so many shots, trying to get the light and the focus just right and the tulips ended up looking like they were part of the painting...
The rest of the week looks like fun...working on practicing with my camera, long walks with the Kona and a few easy runs planned. The Virginia is for Lovers 14K is Saturday morning and I am psyched and ready for that race. It will be my first time running this event. I am also looking forward to an event at the Hermitage Museum in Norfolk on Thursday night. Sweet girl #2 works at the Hermitage and I am looking forward to seeing her in her element as well as meeting some of her co-workers.
Later, peeps.

1 comment:
I do love that photo. It's one of my favorite of yours, and I'm tickled to hear that you really took the time to work on it. It sounds like you had a great weekend, and I hope your week includes our photography meet-up on Thursday? ;)
Post a Comment