Thursday, October 6, 2011

Contemplating Yarn

Visited the Yarn Club today. I was given a gift certificate as one of my bday gifts to spend there, so I thought I would go and get inspired. Instead I was overwhelmed. So many beautiful, soft yarns, so many patterns and not enough confidence in my knitting abilities to want to spend $$$ on a project I might not finish!

I was almost decided on a pattern and yarn when the clerk who was helping me told me I would need more skeins than I had picked out because I was (and I quote) "a big girl"...what? Really? Boy, did my mood plummet!
I haven't felt right since! And needless to say, I left without buying. a. thing.

I'll feel better after a weekend of strong runs, a decent showing at my softball games tomorrow night and some work on a shrug I started knitting a couple of weeks ago. It's a glorified rectangle whose ends will get sewed into sleeves...and I love the deep red of the yarn and the brushed alpaca softness of it. Big Girl, my. ass.

3 comments:

C. Beth said...

Hi, Liz! Thanks for your comments on my blog. The hat is my design so I'm not sure if there's a similar knitting pattern or not. I have published the crochet version so if you end up venturing into crochet, feel free to email me and I'll send you a link! cbethcrochet@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Words are so important to the human spirit! Some people simply don't have a clue and I wonder if they didn't really mean it the way we might have taken it. Maybe if we have the courage to speak our truth in the exact moment (with grace) we may just find out how incredibly powerful we are and can avert words that hurt us. Just saying...

Liz said...

Thanks, Beth...I'll let you know if I do start crochet...I might have to just to make your hat! :-)

Shelly...you're right - I should have spoken up. And I still might since I have to go back to the yarn store to spend that gift certificate! :-)