Monday, October 26, 2009

Parents Weekend


Keith, Alanna and I at the AXO Parents Formal


Today I'm paying for the fabulous time Keith and I had in Charlottesville this past weekend. My extremeties are bloated (eww, that sounds gross!), I am still tired (how can that be!?), the cat threw up on the landing just at the top of the stairs ("Revenge, she smirked, is sweet!"), and I'm feeling somewhat disoriented...strange how getting out of my routine for a few days can kink up everything from my attitude to how my body feels!


Friday was a rush of getting ready to go, a five-mile run, walking Keegan, straightening the house up, packing and rushing out, then spending 3 hours plus in the car with Keith driving, Nascar-like, through all the traffic and craziness that is Interstate 64 on a Friday afternoon...it was a relief to get to the B&B, have a quick glass of wine and then get ready for the Alpha Chi Omega formal dinner and dance. We picked up Alanna on our way to the Farmington Country Club and arrived at the stunning venue - I wish it had been earlier so I could take pictures of the grounds... October in Charlottesville is so lovely!
Cocktails, dinner and dancing ensued and we had a great time with Alanna, her friends and catching up with some of the parents we met last year when our girls were the pledge class.
The next day dawned cloudy with warnings of sporadic rain for the whole day...Keith and I were cheered as we walked the couple of miles to Alanna's apartment at The Corner because the sun peeked out briefly. As we left for the Alpha Chi house and our tailgating party, the rain started to come down, softly at first, but with a hint of the ferocity to come! We enjoyed food and fellowship, lots of conversation about the upcoming game against Georgia Tech and then walked the 25 minutes to the stadium, again in the pouring rain. Misery!
That wet walk turned out to be just a prelude of what was to come. During the game, we alternately saw sun with sprinkles of rain, and the occasional deluge. Keith and I sat in the students' section and participated in the cheers, and the Good 'Ol Song. I particularly enjoyed the UVA Marching Band...they were so very AWESOME!
Though UVA was the only undefeated team in the ACC (against ACC opponents) up until Saturday, a win against GaTech was not meant to be! We left with 12 minutes to go in the 4th quarter when the sky broke open a final time to send strong winds and a heavy downpour of rain onto the Wahoos! The final score...34-9.

We made plans to take Alanna out for dinner and luckily, caught a bus to the downtown area which cut our walk to just a few minutes. When we arrived at our B&B, the South Street Inn, we were so relieved to peel off sopping wet clothes and dry in front of one of the two fireplaces in our suite! ahhh, warmth!
After warming up and a short nap, (the weather of course improved immediately after we returned to the game!) we enjoyed wine and cheese before picking Alanna up for a dinner at Mono Loco...good times!

We returned home around lunch time yesterday and spent the whole day alternately napping and watching NFL football...What a weekend!








No comments: