Thursday, April 26, 2012

In My Own Little Corner

Such a sad little corner of my yard...it was previously full of white ginger - which in August and September is quite a sight...and smell.  Graceful white flowers bursting from green corn-like stalks with a fragrance that is so exotic.  But they were taking over. everything.  Keith even had to put 2x6 boards in the ground to keep them from growing into the plants on either side of this corner...truly a perfect storm of moisture and sun that the tropical ginger just LOVED.  This is the spot I chose to memorialize Keegan...his favorite view of the pool and where he used to jump off to do his laps..."on the edge, Keegan!  Ready?  1...2...Oh, Keegan!"

So after weeks of digging and pulling and tilling...we finally got most of the ginger out and this is what was left.
We put our heads together with Rusty from Outdoor Artistry and came up with THIS...
I've been enjoying my little corner every day, especially the sight and sound of the rushing water...so soothing and the perfect place to remember my sweet boy Keegan.  I've set up a table and chairs just to the left of the corner on the pool deck and it's become THE place to enjoy a glass of wine before dinner...
 
I just have a few more plants to add to make it look a little more lush and filled in...of course.  And don't worry, I saved quite a few ginger lilies.  They are safely ensconced in pots so as not to threaten the rest of the flora and I will still be able to enjoy their tropical presence come August...perfect!

No comments: